- Municipal Law
- Land Use
- Economic Development
- Human Resources
- Emergency Operations
Charles Anderson has over 35 years of as in-house counsel in the City of Irving, Texas, serving as City Attorney, 2006-2016, Deputy City Attorney, 1991-2006, Senior Assistant City Attorney, 1980-1991 and Assistant City Attorney, 1977-1978. He advised City Councils, Boards and Commissions, City Managers and Department Heads. Particular practice areas have included ordinance and resolution drafting, planning and zoning, economic development, water issues, human resource issues, public pensions, service on the executive committee of the Emergency Operations Center for the City of Irving, the Texas Public Information Act and the Texas Open Meetings Act. Charles took part and oversaw all aspects of legal advice and representation of the City of Irving, ranging from prosecution in Municipal Court, Code Enforcement (including the initiation of a continuing successful seminar for Texas Attorneys), overseeing the negotiation of the termination of the Dallas Cowboys lease on Texas Stadium and the purchase and development of the 240 million dollar Toyota Music Factory. Charles provided legal counsel to numerous charter review committees, including an extensive update and revision in 2013 where 31 separate questions were submitted to and approved by the voters. Charles provided legal counsel to the major revision the City of Irving Ethics Policy in 2014.
He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Government from the University of Texas at Austin and a Juris Doctor degree, also from the University of Texas at Austin, where he was on the staff of the Texas International Law Journal.
- President, Texas City Attorneys Association, 2008-2009
- Board of Directors, Texas City Attorney’s Association, 2002-2010
- Texas Municipal League Liaison for the Texas City Attorney’s Association, 2010
- Administrative Board, City of Irving Supplemental Benefit Plan, 1998-2016
- City of Irving Claims Board, 2006-2016
- Sergeant, Texas State Guard, 2010-2015
- Community Emergency Response Team Certification, 2011
- Special Agent, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 1978-1980
- Co-chair, Texas Public Interest Research Group, 1971-1973
- Vice President, Board of Directors, C. G. Jung Society of North Texas, 2017-present.
University of Texas at Austin School of Law, J.D.
University of Texas at Austin, Government, B.A.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS